Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fine Arts & Academic Competition

On Friday, my entire junior high class (eleven 7th and 8th graders) went to New Hampshire to compete against eight other Christian schools from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut.  There were 213 students total and we competed in 49 different events in 5 categories: Bible, Art, Academics, Speech, and Music. 

Our first competition of the day was hand chimes.  Trinity acquired three octaves of hand chimes over the summer so this is our first competition with them (and our second ever performance).  Everyone participates, regardless of musical knowledge or ability.  Our teacher has been out of school a lot in the past few weeks (due to a family emergency) so my mom stepped in to help us practice.  On competition day,  she was asked to direct us again.



This is me with my duet partner, Sophia.  We played Road to Listoonvarna, which is an old Irish fiddle tune.  Sophia picked the music because it's the only song she can play, and I worked with my guitar teacher (who helped me with song mechanics) and my mom to get it performance-ready.


We won first place.  Not bad for a first ever competition.



This is the junior high class...all eleven of us; eight 7th graders and three 8th graders.  That's me; front row, far right.

No comments:

Post a Comment